Monday, February 11, 2013

Baked Chicken Taquitos

I have made this recipe several times and I think I've finally worked out the quirks.  My family really loved the flavor, so I kept trying to figure out how to keep them from exploding.  It finally worked!
Enjoy!

Baked Chicken Taquitos (Adapted from Our Best Bites)
3 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
1/3 cup salsa verde
1/4 cup lime juice
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. ground cumin
3 cloves minced garlic
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 tbsp. chopped green onions
2 cups canned chicken
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
12 corn tortillas
cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and prepare a greased cooking sheet.  In a large bowl, combine everything except the tortillas.  Set aside.
Lightly cook the tortillas on a hot griddle, spraying with cooking spray before cooking.  ( I tried the microwave method multiple ways and times.  I never had good results until I started cooking them because it dried the tortillas out a bit.)
Place 2 tbsp. of filling on the bottom third of the tortilla.  Roll tightly.  Place on the cooking sheet with seam side down.  When the sheet is full, spray the taquitos with cooking spray.  Bake for 20 minutes.  Serve with your favorite dipping sauce:  guacamole, sour cream or salsa.

One tip:  I make extra filling and freeze it until I'm ready to make another batch.  Eventually I might try to freeze the pre-baked taquitos and see how they turn out.  Usually I'm rushing to just make enough for the meal at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment