Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Family Tree

Now that Mother's day has passed I can post my gift to my mother and mother-in-law.  I saw this family tree on Pinterest.  Smallgood Hearth had a great idea to make a personalized family tree. It was not very expensive, the frame was the most expensive part.  

I bought a canvas and stopped by the paint department for the paint chips. I had the rest of the supplies at home.  I started by painting a tree trunk and making sure to have a branch to hang the swing on.  Next was cutting out all the leaves.  I just free handed them and made sure I had extra.  To make the swing, cut a rectangle to scale for your tree. I used an embroidery needle to get the string through and then tied a knot at the top and bottom.  I glued the swing on and drew the heart with initials.  Next I set the leaves on to get an idea where they would fit, since I was trying to keep the family groups together.  Then I just used Tacky Glue to attach the leaves.  I even left a couple blank leaves for the two babies coming this fall.  I also left room for the growing families to add more leaves, extra leaves were taped to the back of the frame. 

Both moms were thrilled with the results.  I'm really pleased with it too and it wasn't hard to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment