Friday, June 14, 2013

Fruit Salsa and Baked Cinnamon Chips

Memorial day weekend involved lots of food and fun with family. I didn't want to totally derail my healthier eating, so I made this yummy fruit salsa.  The first time I went to make it, I didn't have kiwi or raspberries.  I thought that crushed pineapple might be a good substitute and I really loved it.  Summer is here and fresh fruit hits the spot!

1 can crushed pineapple, drained
2 apples, diced
1 pound strawberries, coarsely chopped
3 tablespoons sugar-free jam, I used blackberry

Combine all the ingredients in a medium sized bowl.  Chill in the refrigerator while you make the cinnamon chips.

Baked Cinnamon Chips
10 whole wheat tortillas
Cooking spray
Cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the front and back of each tortilla.  Cut them in 6 equal pieces. Arrange on greased cookie sheet.  Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, as much as you like.  Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden on the edges and crunchy.  Re-coat with cinnamon sugar if desired.  Repeat with another batch.  Let cool, then serve with the fruit salsa.  Enjoy!

Notes:  It is best served the first day.  The salsa will get very juicy but still good the second day.  The original recipe called for kiwis and raspberries.  Don't be afraid to try other favorite fruits, the possibilities are endless! 


No comments:

Post a Comment