Thursday, January 3, 2013

Crock pot beans

I use beans in a lot of recipes but I always use canned.  It is not too expensive if it is a can here and there.  I always forget to start beans early enough unless I do a lot of planning ahead of time, doesn't happen most days.  My family has a new favorite dinner, white chicken chili. Since there are so many of us, it takes several cans of beans.  It was adding up to an expensive meal.  So when I found this money saving recipe I had to check it out.
The idea is to cook up the beans and use them immediately or freeze them for a meal later.  I did both and loved the results!  If you freeze them, the best way to thaw them is to leave them out on the counter for a few hours.  But if you're short on time, immerse them in hot water for a while.  Do not heat them in the microwave, they break open and will get mushy.

Crock pot beans
1. Wash any type of dried beans and pick out the discolored or broken beans.
2.  Pour them into your crock pot.
3.  Add enough water to cover 2 inches above the beans.
4.  Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice.  (This helps makes the beans easier on your tummy.)
5.  Cover the beans and turn the crock pot on high for 3.5 hours.
6.  Check them for desired tenderness.  It will take longer if you live at a high elevation, mine took 4 hours.
7.  Now they are ready to use.  Enjoy a nice healthy, cheap meal!

To freeze:  let them cool slightly and then place them in a ziploc bag.  Keep them in the freezer for months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment